Followers


Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Homemade Flashcards



I've recently been on Mead Johnson forum and there is an ongoing topic around how to make flashcards for our children - I added my 2 cents worth :D. I for one tried palm size flashcards for easy handling, and that allows me to form simple sentences for my son to attempt. See this post if you are interested:

Homemade Mini Flashcards for Phonics & Word Recognition @ http://bit.ly/3R2FEj

Later the sourcing of cardboards and the measuring and the cutting exercise got to me. Truth be told, I was getting a bit lazy. At the same time, the imperfect cutting resulting in ununiform flashcards also irritated me. Can't help it - sometimes I'm a perfectionist :lol: haha! Then I started hunting for precut palm sized cards. I thought of using blank name cards but the size is too small. Perhaps at later stage. And it is not exactly easy to find. I found one in TESCO but it was in gawdy purple - quite a distraction!

Finally I found the perfect one - at least for me. Cut at 5" width by 3" height, it is just perfect for handy palm sized flashcards. They are actually quality index cards (branded 'Besform') for office use. I got mine from Kinokuniya at only RM3.50 for a pack of 50 pieces. Later, I found that they are also available at Isetan stationery section (KLCC Level 2). The cards are lined as are index cards and I feel that it works to mine advantage as I can show Ryan how the words should be written. Here is a picture of the ones I bought.


BTW, if you are interested, the Besform index cards are available in different sizes - the ones I got are the smallest at 5" x 3" and there are bigger ones like 6" x 4" and 8" x 5". Take the one that suits your needs.


I choose to write the words on the flashcards. It is faster and I can add words for Ryan there and then whenever I find that he can take on more. At the same time, I thought that it would be good for him to recognize words from handwriting. The printed words can be reinforced with books.

His stack of flashcards is piling higher. He is so proud that he can recognize so many words. Now, I have actually progressed him to the next level where I get Ryan to write and spell some words from the flashcards a few times and then, I would get him to spell them out to me without refering to the cards or his sheets. It worked! And not just for that time, he could still remember them till now. For this, I'm going slow. Actually, what I really wanted to do is to train his memory power, but at a more relaxed pace... slowly getting him ready for primary school.

2 comments:

Rene Lee said...

Believe it or not, when I was in uni, I used to make such flashcards on these types of index cards for me to do quick revisions. Found them extremely useful during exams.

So, not only do they work on kids, it works well for uni-going students too :D

Joanne said...

haha! not bad hor...
Actually its very handy and quality is good too.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe