Followers


Saturday, January 30, 2010

No Regrets on SuperFun Learners

It's been sometime since I last blogged. My new job has been keeping me very busy during the day and completely poofed when I reached home at night. I just didn't have the energy. To my readers, my apologies. Not that I don't have anything to say..coz there are lots. Just that the energy level was low after work. Then the weekends were all filled with family. Then CNY is round the corner and I haven't done ANY shopping!!! Thank God, this is a long weekend.

Well, the topic for this post is really about my children's new kindy, really. To-date, no regrets!! Fungates system really works. What my Ryan had been trying to learn in Eduland.. and I'm talking about basic ones.. he got it within 2 weeks in his new kindy. Along the way, his personal tuition helps too. Remember? I was freaking about his new school's syllabus? The tuition teacher main role is to guide him with his homework and then Chinese and Malay. The homework here is also alot ..for a 5-6year old kid. Each day, he brings back about 4-5 homework. I see also 'kesian'. Then the home tuition, and Enopi and the Cambridge. I am so two hearts about cutting down for him. From my view point, either way he suffers. Perhaps until he stabilize in 2-3 months, then I'll cut down. Which one?? Worry later.

While he complains and cries over the homework and the extra classes at times... really heartsick about it...he is at the same time very proud and smug about his achievements. For the last few nights, he dug out him homework pouch, took out him English, Chinese and Malay books and read out to his Daddy and Mummy. I tested him over a series of Chinese that he wrote for his homework thinking that like Eduland, he probably could write but absolutely blank about how to read. To my surprise, he read confidently to me. Sounds a bit 'amor' but good! He was real smug and proud. Good sign.

As for little Raymund, he also wanted to show off. It was really cute to see him reciting letters, saying the sounds with hand actions. Apparently, the kindy teaches actions together with letters and sound recitals. I'm still digesting that my baby Raymund is no longer a baby. In fact, I'm seeing a change in him already...for the better.

So no regrets with my move to change kindy. Even though activities are less in this kindy, we can make up for it in other areas. Bottom line, going to kindy is to prepare our kids for the real school. And of course, kindies also make learning fun for toddlers along the way.

Which brings me to an idea... I think I will blog about how to choose a kindy next. I have done this before but I think I have more insights now. Hope will help other young parents.

8 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

*sigh* i really pity our kids. so much work to do and they are only in kindy. i don't remember doing homework when i was in kindy :D ashley will be starting extra mandarin classes tomorrow eventhough she's in a chinese-based kindy. i hope she won't cry :(

Joanne said...

yep... tot only adults are stressed. Now the kids are also stressed young. And they have not even started studies ...the real thing.

PeNNy said...

Hi there, I was a teacher at SFL last year. Glad to read that your child is learning fast!

Hope everything runs smoothly for your children at SFL :) and of course, have fun!

Joanne said...

I like what Im getting tho my sons are pretty stressed up with homeworks :)

Can I have your views abt Superfun Learners pls? What to look out for and what not? My eldest is in SFL in his last year and I worry abt his catching up.

PeNNy said...

About homeworks, honestly I would say most of the parents are happy that their children are given loads of homework, mainly those who are sending them to chinese school. I've seen kids going to primary school and have no problem handling the homework etc. So IMHO, rather 'suffer' now else it'll be tough when they go to primary school.

Erm, my view about SFL?Not sure what to say. My mum is Teacher Mary. I used to work in the admin aswell. I'm guessing you should know my mum because she's in charge of the 5 y/os.

But one thing I can assure you, the principal, Mrs Wong pays attention to every detail in the school and is always looking out for different and better ways to educate the kids. Security is the main thing when it comes to any events/outings etc.

About your eldest, I know it is tough for him because it's a whole different system. Personal advice, make sure he's happy at school then the learning will come easier. Noticed that when I was teaching :)

Joanne said...

thanks so much. Ryan's teacher is teacher Alice and Raymund's is teacher Pari. I must say I'm happy with them as they have called by 2 x already to check on my kids' progress and that is smtg that you don't get all the time. And yes, I know Teacher Mary :).. she is very patient when it comes to explain things to me. I like her :)

Innocent Pet ('@') said...

hi,
I'm just curious how old is Raymund when u 1st send him to his kindie. I have a 2yrs 3mths old daughter and I'm thinking of sending her to kindie but I have worries and doubts.

Sheryl said...

I googled Superfun Learner and found your blog. I am surveying kindy for my 4yo (next year) son. SFL is one of the kind in my list. I like the teaching method of fungates system. Just that the fees are higher than other education system such as 3Q MRC, q-dees. Any idea how should I choose which one is more suitable and any recommendation?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe