Followers


Sunday, February 24, 2013

Does Enopi/Eye Level work for my kids? Let's talk about this again.

Let's talk about Enopi, now known as Eye Level, again...

I knew I raved about its effectiveness a long while back when my boys were still young and in kindy. I'm  stillnot saying that it is not good but... yes, it has some 'Buts' now.

In my earlier post, I have quite a few comments from my readers about their opinion on Enopi and their recommendation of some other. Thanks so much :) !

Now that my boys are now older, I have to review some points here. At the start, Enopi for very young kids like 4 years and kindy has certainly helped them. My kids are still going there but Im having second thoughts for my eldest, Ryan now in Standard 3... and perhaps at later stage for Raymund who is now at Standard 1. Ryan is still practicing some additions and substractions but his school has gone much advance. The worse part is the method is not aligned to his school's. Children at this stage, if they can recognize that there are more ways to work out the Maths, it's good but I seriously think that it is expecting too much of them.

I'm planning to pull Ryan out of Enopi soon but Im leaving Rachel and Raymund there still. Enopi still gives them a good foundation. The practical skills in critical thinking and problem solving are also very useful and makes future comprehension of Maths easier. However, when the child moves to primary schools, there are obvious distinction in the teaching methods. I find my boys esp Ryan going on 2 different routes in learning Maths - in school and at Enopi. To say the least, Enopi is not helping with his everyday Maths needs for his school. And worse, I am beginning to notice that both his interest and performance in Maths is sliding. Is that what we want at this stage? Yes, if my child is super intelligent. At his point Ryan is really struggling. My experience when I was coaching his school work and Enopi is that the methods for each are trully not aligned and teachers in school are very adamant to use THEIR method. So, why stress my boy to learn 2 varying methods??

To point it out further, kids nowadays are already stress as it is with high level of difficulty in school (compared to my time really!) and time is not enough as it is. I for one have no intention of adding unnecessary stress to them.

Having said that, I am NOT degrading the importance of Enopi. Specifically for my kids, I feel that they have truly benefited at younger age and I'm still sending my youngest there to build her foundation. I still have no regrets over my decision to enroll them at Enopi at the younger age. But, I feel that I can put my older boy's time to better use and align it with his school's studies. Mathematics is a very important subject. At least, I'd want to reinforce his school studies instead of taking him to a different route. Moreover, he is still a banana going thru big challenges of a SJKC, both academically and emotionally.. sigh! That's another story.


Joanne

12 comments:

Nat said...

Misss u loh!


Joanne said...

lol!

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne, thanks for sharing your experiences here. My 3 year-old girl has just started her kindy this month and she has been in Bao Bei for few months, I realised she is learning fast at this age, I have visited Enopi in my area,its does look a bit messy and disorganized to me. I think Enopi can be different depending on which center you are going.

Anonymous said...

You are confronting an ongoing problem with the school system's blind acceptance of "fuzzy math", which is what Everyday Math, Instructives, Terc, etc. are referred to. Schools spend millions on these new approaches and therefore don't want to admit mistakes. Fuzzy math does not prepare children for high school and college. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1qee-bTZI. It is called "Math Education: An Inconvenient Truth." My recommendation, supplement with enopi or kumon or workbooks because that is the only way your children will learn "real math."

Anonymous said...

Hi,can u give us an idea how much do we pay if i enrol my 3 turning 4 yr old child at eye level? Thanks

E.nopi said...

Thanks for sharing your concern about Enopi. We will further look into this. At same time, feel free read back other review at:
http://kidbuxblog.com/e-nopi-helps-sharpen-your-childs-mind/

Anonymous said...

I also take my kids to Enopi - Eye level here in Malaysia. I find the booklets to be extremelly repetitive to the point that kids get really tired. And just as someone before said, they may lag behind the school curriculum. Probably because they are too many booklets for the same topic. I am still not sure what is the since behind it.
For the english, I like the reading and comprenhension, but again the spelling and writting is not that good. They dont do cursive, when in the school they are required to do it.

Anonymous said...

I agree, too many books are based on the same topic and children lag behind. I have experienced this with Enopi books but how about kumon? is it any better or the same? Also, I find enopi english quite inefficient.. They don't provide any homework and the children don't get more than a few pages done in the centre. I find that rather frustrating and have arranged an extra tuition teacher teaching maths and english (she comes home once a week).. Is kumon helpful in these aspects or is it the same?

Anonymous said...

I was trying to enrol my son to eye level few days ago, and I cant accept the fact that they wan my son to learn basic addiction like 9+1=?, which he ady pass all that test perfectly, the reason they gave me is he cant do hundred digit addiction like 234+345=? The result was 2 out of 5 is wrong,so he have to start at tat lvl 9+1=? Lvl 7 if I m not wrong, and I started to call up my friends they told me they have stop them from eyelevel bcos they think the center is tryin to make money rather than teaching, my son nw is age7, but he was doing double digit addiction and subraction pretty well,



Unknown said...

If u expecting homework... Kumon got booklet to finish everyday.. N most of the booklet repeated..

Unknown said...

Eyelevel or kumon is building strong base for ur kid.. My girls also stand 1 n age 6.. Both of them also need to start from +1... Maybe u not understand their level or standard of their teaching.. I got a few students study in eyelevel or kumon since at age 4... When they in stand 3, they r doing level stand 5-6... When they in stand 5... They doing form 3 maths... Base is important, they have their method... If u wanna ur kid clever in maths n international standard... Both eyelevel or kumon r good for u to invest... :) I just can't wait to see my girls result in 2-3years later

Unknown said...

I agreed with u

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe