Followers


Thursday, November 12, 2009

New Kindergarten for Ryan and Raymund



Ryan has been attending Tadika Eduland, now called Beaconhouse, for 2 years already. I'm not going to continue with Beaconhouse for him for his 6-year old classes. Not because I have a huge dissatisfaction with the kindie but it's more because of logistic issues. I have been fetching him to school every morning. On a good day, it takes about 20 min to reach the kindie. On a bad day, anything goes. When I'm not working like now, I have to a make a trip all the way there and back. It wouldn't do.

Ryan likes his current class teacher. But since the change in management, I just feel that the kindie is not efficient as it used to be. But then again, I don't have any major complaint. I just want Ryan to go to a more academic based kindie (to activity based) in his last preschool year.


Next year, Raymund will be starting his 1st year in kindie. With 2 boys, I have to find a more affordable kindie... and closer to home. I was choosing between Q-dees and Superfun Learners which adopts the Fungates System. Both have their own merits. Q-dees goes on an established computerised system (for whatever the reason, I'm not dazzled by it :) ) and has long line of testimonial. Again it depends on which franchisee. Fungates is no different since it is also a system adopted by kindergartens. But SuperFun Learners has been established for >10 years and was originally located in Sri Petaling. From what I heard, some students followed them with the relocation to Bdr Kinrara. Well, I finally registered both my sons to SuperFun Learners. The deciding points are:
  1. My sons' playmates - my neighbours' kids - go to the SuperFun Learners and they are the same ages ****
  2. They have just shifted to the new premise - all new and clean
  3. Location is quiet, with easy parking - looks safe too - away from traffic. Actually the same with Qdees
  4. My neighbours gave good feedback about the school ****
  5. Close to home - save travelling time so that my kids can do more things, like attending Cosmotots iqd (still contemplating)
  6. $$$ cheaper
Ryan's classmate's mom :) was also thinking of transferring her daughter but worried about 'rocking' her daughter's confidence since she has to make new friends and get use to new environment. She asked me the same. I told her that I share her worry but it will be no difference when our kids go to the primary school. I feel that it should be ok since kindergartens give more personal attention than primary schools. It shouldn't be too tough. Just let them rough it out A BIT now in preparation for the bigger one.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter is also in Eduland (5 yrs old) and I am also seriously considering changing kindergartens. However, she likes it at Beaconhouse, so...it is still in negotiation...The change in management has not heralded much positive changes for the kindy, I feel, which is unfortunate as when they first started out at the present premises in 2003, they were doing an excellent job. Anyway, I have been following your blog and find it interesting. Good job!

cre8tone said...

So many kindergartens around... Dunno how to choose the best~~~

Joanne said...

Little prince's mummy -

Yep. So what I'd normally do is ask around those parents who send their kids to the kindies that I'm considering. What's better than another parent's feedback right :)


Anonymous -
I couldn't agree with you more. The same with Ryan. Probably it is activity based and so they like it. I don't see much progress in my son compared to other kids. The change in mgmt has not really been for the better. The teachers change so often - even the principal is new. I missed the old days when Mr Chia was around. Things were more orderly and controlled. The best part was every single little feedback or complaint no matter how small was responded quickly and satisfactorily. Mr Chia personally saw to the kids with problem and gave us feedback and advices. As parents, that's what I need. It is just that Ryan is happy with his teacher now, and that's why I let him finish his year this year.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Joanne. My daughter was with Eduland in the baby Class till Toddler Class for a few months and then we were overseas for 2 years before she rejoined Eduland this year. The changes since the new management took over is very obvious. I agree that Mr Chia was very good, with individual attention to the students and feedbacks, and also the Coffee Talk sessions where parents could share their parenting experiences. When we came back to Malaysia, I was very surprised to see he wasn't with the school anymore. I don't know why or when he left, but it is a pity. I missed the recent concert as I was overseas but I was told it was not very well conducted. Eduland has good facilities, and it would be great if they complement it with a good teaching system, like in the old days.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne, can you share more abt SuperFun Learners. Have been going around hunting kindie for my 5 year old girl...until now still hesitating to send her to one. Heard SuperFun Learners is not bad...met up with the headmistress once 2 years back...she looks very serious and 'fierce'...and the teachers are not very friendly though...or shld i say 'more diciplined'???

Joanne said...

Sorry been too bz and haven't been visiting my blog. I'd say Im very happy with the school. They stress on academic and children safety. The headmistress is strict but reasonable. That's probably why the kindy is very organized. Let me know what questions you have in mind. I'll try to answer :)

Jennifer Low said...

Hi, Joanne. I have enrolled my son into Beaconhouse since January 2011. I did not have the opportunity to scout around or check out for more feedback before switching my son (3+) from a Montessori based playschool in Cheras (near my place of work) to Beaconhouse (Sri Petaling). Beaconhouse was recommended by my husband's friend as they reckon it good. I read with interest in your blog about the previous management under Eduland, you feel that the kindie is not efficient as it used to be (but no major complaint). I would like to ask for your honest opinion / feedback if the teachers and the curriculum is good at Beaconhouse presently. Is there not enough emphasis on academic? I like Beaconhouse because of its integrated curriculum where gym, swimming (water play), art and craft, cooking, enrichment classes are incorporated. With SuperFun Learners, do you still get to enjoy all these FUN? I am a firm believer that children learns best when they are relaxed and through play. Are we parents being too "hurried" to see the fruits of our child academically even at such a young age?

Anonymous said...

I am in ur situation two years ago. Beaconhouse is a bit far from where I stay now as compared to Q-dees at puncak jalil and Superfun Learners at bandar kinrara. I dun really have chance to check out these three kindies. Need your advise as in which school teachers are more caring and focus on total child development as my child is more introvert which he feels isolated in the class. I wish to enrol him in a school with more caring attitude and help to nurture the interest towards learnings.

Stacey said...

Hi all,
I plan to send both my 3 and 5 yrs old daughters to shining kids @ taman equine next year 2012. I surveyed the kindy there and I heard fr a colleague of mine that the teachers there are not caring, especially the principal. Does anybody hv kids studying there? My eldest daughter is currently studying in kuen cheng kindy but wanted to switch to kindy near my house. Pls really appreciate any comments on the teachers there...

networknewbie said...

If you want your son to be independent, know how to resolve problem with his peers and have ability to learn then do AMI Montessori School (not all Montessori are the same).

If you want your son to have all senses developed and are willing to delay his reading skill until age7 or 8 then do Waldorf School.

If you want alternative and want your son to develop in a creative and free settings with lots of team work and fun, then do Sudbury School or the Reggio Emilia School.

If you want the combination of UK preschool (play & relax) + early primary school (reading & drama) and don't mind paying a privileged price then join the Julia Gabriel centre in Bangsar.

If you only care about academic performance and ignore others then any ordinary kindergarten in Malaysia will do the job.

networknewbie said...

If your son is very gifted then likely Montessori or Reggio Emilia plus homeschooling are the only option for him.

Besides kindergarten I am also very concerned about the general primary school education system in msia, be it the Chinese school which is overcrowded and too much rote teaching or the government owned Malay school which is rubbish in quality and nothing to learn. So parents should also concern the primary and secondary education for their son, shouldn't end at the kindergarten level.

Alfaid's Admin said...

INI ANDA BOLEH MEMPERBAHARUI ROADTAX & INSURANS / TAKAFUL KENDERAAN TANPA PERLU KE JPJ @ PEJABAT POS SERTA TANPA PERLU BAWA GERAN ORIGINAL, LEBIH MUDAH JIMAT DAN SELAMAT MELALUI KIOSK MYEG AL FAID BARAKAH SERVICES (PUCHONG AREA)

http://www.roadtaxmyeg.com/

Kitty said...

Hi,

Joanne, i just moved form JB to Bangsar and I'm looking for a reasonable yet good place to send my 3 year old boy. Everything is so pricey and i am wondering if the playschools and kindies are much overrated? Could you share with me the fee structure of Beaconhouse Bangsar? I need to maintain a certain budget too and not pay for my young one so much as if it is a Degree program! I've tried out Gymboree at Bangsar and it was not too bad (although my husband feels it is too pricey for 2 hours...Being in the education line, i am highly aware of teaching methods/styles...however, im not questioning so much the teaching methods or style offered by these schools. Just wondering if the fee is a bit much..?

Unknown said...

Good sharing, Q-dees programmes are renowned, incorporating fun and a holistic concept of learning while empowering children with the foundation they need to exponentially grow. More information, visit:
http://kidbuxblog.com/q-deed-helps-children-have-great-minds-at-work/

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe