Followers


Monday, November 16, 2009

My Son Grinds His Teeth When In Deep Sleep (Bruxism)


Do you have such problem? Ryan sleeps with me. Lately, I noticed that he has been grinding his teeth when he is sleeping, esp when he is in deep sleep. Loud grinding sound. I have to wake him up and work my fingers between his teeth or massage his jaw to stop the grinding. He clenches his jaw so tight. I'm so worried that his milk teeth would break! I tried to talk to him about it. It seems that he is not aware about it. Does anyone know what to do?

I just googled it up hoping to find some insights. The 'changgeh' medical term for it is 'Bruxism'. Collectively, the sites that I visited said that it is 'normal' for young children. Either due to physical (upper and lower jaw not aligned or when there is facial pain) or psychological like stress and anxiety .. "At this age??!!" Well, so it seems. I began asking myself - is my son stressed up? Am I pushing too hard? One other site mentioned that Bruxism is particularly common when a new set of teeth is about to replace the old milk ones. But at 5 years old? I thought the new sets only started around 7 years if I can remember my childhood exactly. Maybe they come earlier these days, haha!

Well, what I have learnt from the few sites I visited -


  1. Usually there is nothing to worry about esp when the children are still having milk teeth
  2. If grinding continues when they get 'adult' teeth, then a visit to a dentist is inevitable.
  3. Relax the child during bedtime eg bedtime stories
  4. Usually disappears with age
  5. Teeth grinding may cause jaw-ache, headache or earache
Any moms out there have the same problem? Any way to fix this problem?

2 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

Hi there. I blog-hopped a few days ago and came across yours :) Enjoy reading your lovely blog and have been coming back to read your earlier posts :D I'm staying near your area actually....hahhaaha..don't worry, I'm not a stalker ;) I have a 4 year old girl and I blog too. Do drop by when you are free :D

Joanne said...

Sure thanks for dropping by. Its great to know that there are blogger mummies close by :)

Gonna your blog now.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe