Followers


Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Son's Assessment in Kindy



Parents Teachers Day at my son's kindy was here and gone. Seems my son has improved quite a bit compared to his last assessment. He is not the top of his class... and I'm not pushing him to be. But I just hoping that's he's not and will never be the bottom. Not so because of anything but I don't want him to feel pressured when demoralized esp when he goes to primary. At present, a good average is good enough for me. The thing about kindy here, there is no ranking yet as to who is top or bottom or number xx in the class. So far, they don't practice this as it's still after all only a kindy. I'm ok with that. Whenever I asked his teachers whether he is at the bottom, his teachers normally misunderstood me and thought I'm asking for position in class. You see, my son Ryan used to be one of the slowest, if not the slowest, when he was in the Four Year old class. Reason was simply because he only started to speak when he started kindy at 4 years old. Sigh! Long story .. along the lines of getting the wrong child care when he was a baby/toddler. I was worried about him then. He was a slow speaker - I even wrote about it. Click
here if you are interested :), and then read on about my attempts to help him. Ain't easy :)

This parents teachers meeting to talk about my son's progress is a really good thing. I remember that in my days, during the primary school time, my parents hardly went. It was also assumed a waste of time. Maybe it was true then. Anyway, since I coach my son, I always like to check with his teacher about his progress and improvement in all areas. Also to figure out where are the areas that need reinforcements. I keep a very close tab with his teachers on normal days too. This was especially true last year when he had difficulty. It was really joint efforts with his teacher then that helped Ryan improved quite a bit. For instance, the teacher would tell me specifically which problem, eg sound blending for certain letters, then I would help him at home. It was tough then but rewarding.

Last week was the last PTM for the year. I learnt quite a bit about my son. Yes! There is always more to learn about our kids. The teacher told me that generally he is good overall. Just some areas that need particular attention, such as Chinese and Malay.

Malay is only introduced for the 1st time for 5 year olds in Beaconhouse. I was told that even a Malay boy in his class also has problem.

Ryan doesn't exactly like Music. Good to know as I was considering Music instrument lessons for him.. only if he likes music. It is not like the old days when kids are pressured to learn and take exam for piano. The thought then was that it was important to learn in case we need additional source of income when we grow up. Is it still the case now? No idea!

He doesn't particularly fancy gym too. Maybe he is too meaty! Haha!
But he loves the library! His teacher thought he likes to read but I pointed out to him that there is a difference between liking books and pictures and such versus reading. Afterall, he is still working hard on his phonics. Hehe! Sometimes, we have to give feedback to teachers too :) I find this is effective so that the teachers can understand our kids better when they coach them during school hours.

And, thanks to E.nopi! His teacher is very impressed with his Math!! She said that Ryan is very fast and very good with Math. It looks like he doesn't need to count to know the answer. She told me that he had to slow down Ryan so that the class can follow. I asked how so. She told me that once she has just finished writing an addition question on the board. Before she could turn and ask the class, Ryan has already shouted the answer! Happy, happy, proud, proud :) Money worth spending :) I will continue sending Ryan to E.nopi :) :) Feedback to moms out there :). Of course, I also shared with the teachers what I teach Ryan too.. like simple multiplication concepts (which is not taught yet in kindy), big number sequencing, etc) :)

Lastly, the character and behavior. Verdict: 'Cheerful and lovable boy'. Talks a lot - a vast difference from last year. It's just that he has to participate more in class (other than Math :)). It could be the language lessons. That's why I'm considering seriously for Cosmotots iqd class.

3 comments:

Ling said...

Joanna, the last time i spoke to a counselor about my 4yo son's slow progress, she brought up the topic on his confidence level and suggested more trips to the playground etc to help it. True enuff, after the many trips to playground, he begin to open up and learning became a breeze cos he was more confident to a certain extend.

Of cos, i also believe his MPM / Enopi / music classes helped here and there.. But am not sure if it was the confidence in himself that helped him to learn better or was i the classes that helped him to be more confident.. :P

Anyway, for music lessons, my boy also didnt like it initially cos he couldn't play. Once he learn his fingerings and could read notes, he's now enjoying his music classes. :)

BTW, there are some findings that says music helps children in math..

For me, i wanted them to learn music so that if they miss by some points in PSLE, they can still get into a very good secondary school with music elective.. Am a KS mama :)

mommy to chumsy said...

great to hear that your son's is doing well in school :) ashley was also slow in her speech. i was so worried when she didn't speak like her peers when she was 2. she only started to speak more after she went to school beginning of this year. she still jumbles up some of her sentences now and i would correct her :) going to read about your previous experience soon :)

Joanne said...

Well done mums. Blogging is a marvelous thing isn't it? Us moms get to share our parenting experience with each other.

With my son, he has no particular interest in music as yet, so I dun wan to force him. Afterall, he's already attending some classes. Worried too much for him.

However of late, he seems to like kung fu. Must be those movies haha! Contemplating Karate and Tae Kwon Do for him. Not to worry these will only instil more discipline in kids, I was told :)

As for kids with slow speech, my experience tells me that we as parents have a big role to play. Talk to our children. Use proper sentences and correct their pronunciation and sentences. My sons copy my sentences and works and use them later. So careful what you say haha! Mixing with children also helped. I encourage them to go to playground to play with neighbours' kids. Helped too. But of course also picked up some 'unwanted' slangs/words too la ;p

Ling - I believe nothing in isolation helps but all contribute some. Kids need to mix and at this stage, they also absorb learning fast.Like my boy, once he knows, he becomes more confident. So it goes hand in hand :)


So mommy to chumsy - dun give up. I'm still going thru with my kids. It's a neverending jo but can be quite entertaining at times :) Hang in there :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe