Followers


Sunday, February 6, 2011

Odonata series ... Chinese version of Peter and Jane


I just bought the 5th series of Odonata series and to my sons, they call them the Ming Ming and Li Li books. I talked about this before. That was when I first started Ryan on these books. It was the boy's tuition teacher who first introduced the books to them. I found them good and useful. Thanks to her :).

Since Ryan started on them not too long ago, he is still at the pre-school series... which tells simple stories around two kids by the name of 眀眀 (Ming Ming) and 丽丽(Li Li). Actually according to the books, this 1st series of 8 books is suitable for kids aged as young as 2-4 years. In my case, it's never too late. Very visual with lots of colors. My boys love them. They have CDs to teach kids how to pronounce as well as workbook for practice but I didn't get them since I have our tuition teacher to help them.


Ryan is on the 2nd series already. Raymund is almost half way through the 1st. Each series promises that the child will know and recognise 100 characters once he is through with it. I hope so. At least my sons can read more than they can talk in Chinese. Definitely better than not at all. It is another matter when it comes to oral. That's for Ryan to rough it out in his primary school now. They are so banana! Sigh!

Here are the rest of pre-school series.

200 words


500-800 words

900-1200 words


I have gotten till the 500 words series. The books aren't thick else I would think they will scare of kids. Mine would! But the repetitive learning is sufficient to encourage word recognition. Most of all, it ain't expensive. I got mine from the Popular bookstore. I'm a member of Popular since I get a lot of my kids' books and stationery supplies there. With 10% for members, each book is only RM5! Cheap and good! I intend to get them all but I noticed that Popular does not have the complete set.... perhaps they are replenishing?

I like collecting books. Even children's. I notice that Ryan takes after me. His precious ones are the children encyclopedia series published by Parragon Books Ltd. Again I got them at Popular too :). Only RM29.90 each. He calls them his Science books. He loves telling people that he knows Science and that ... he knows a lot of things. I encourage him definitely. He has 4 of these already. He is pestering me to get the one about Body now. Told me he wants to become a doctor when he grows up :) Phew!

I collect children books also as I said. The intend is to pass from boy to boy and then my girl. Of course, I also like to see our mini library grow :). No regrets really.. and I would say the investment is worth it. I just forgot to mention... I just found the Odonata official website and they offer online sales. That was when I notice that they carry a lot more .. from primary up till secondary. Along the way, there are also varieties like comics and literatures. If I can't find them at Popular, I just might go online.


If any mom out there who has banana kids like I do and like me, who is Chinese illiterate, hope this helps :). My boys are taking baby steps forward with Chinese ... and look at it this way, they are going forward :)

Happy Chinese New Year!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son's kindy is using the Ming Ming, Li Li series. I agree it's good. I also purchased additional items online (flashcards, story books))from their website, to supplement the books used in kindy. Better purchase direct from their website, as the range is wider and sometimes there is promotion.
Jessie

Joanne said...

Thanks for the info Jessie.
I will do that soon since I cant get the later series from Popular.

Anonymous said...

Hi my child is at the 200 words level. she is reading the same series as you mentioned.
just wondering...would you mind to sell your 300 - 400 words series to us if your children are no longer reading them.
kindly email us if you are selling them at 2nd hand rate laweunice27@yahoo.com.
Thank you.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe