Followers


Saturday, March 12, 2011

Standard 1 Examination just Round the Corner!




Coming week is school holidays. Right after, Ryan has 2 weeks of examination.
Trying to get him to understand the seriousness of examination is not simple. This is the first real exam. In kindy, they were merely assessments. Half the time, the kindy was telling us parents not to pressure the kids and let it be stress free. Just easy revisions and let them go through them easy.

Now the real thing. How do I even explain the seriousness. That he has to study. That exam is important. You might say that it is only Standard 1. Then it will be 'only Standard 1'. It will have to start somewhere.

A few weeks back, I just tried telling him the examination is important. He has to study with his tuition teacher. I don't have much time as my work is very demanding, what with a new boss. I tried to explain that if he wants to be a doctor, he has to study and get all correct. My boy told me that he wants to become a doctor to take care of his Daddy and Mummy. So sweet :)

Actually, I'm not asking for top of class or really all correct. I just don't want him to fall behind and having stress picking up. That's all I ask. A good average and I'm satisfied.

With the exam, I gave him an incentive. I told him that if he gets all correct (figuratively), I will by him his much desired Nerf Gun - one of those in things for young kids today. Earlier I refused to get him because it just don't like him playing with guns and shooting at people. But he just so loved the toy. So I just told him, if you do well and all correct, that is his reward. Work for it! He said 'But Mummy I thought you say cannot?'. I just said 'I promise that I will give you Nerf Gun if you get all correct. I promise. And you promise you cannot shoot at people. But if you get 1 wrong, you get a smaller present. 2 wrongs even smaller present.' Actually my intend is to reward a present anyway. Just for studying and trying. I don't think he will get the Nerf Gun anyway ie all correct but a good incentive. So bad of me :)
I have taken some days off next week to coach him on English and BM. I have not been a good Mummy. I used to be so closed in coaching. Now I just don't have the time and I'm usually too tired. I rely on the tuition teacher a lot. I felt that the exam require my attention and so I make some time. Not enough but better than none.

The reward piece actually works. Before, Ryan used to get all wrong or few correct in his Spelling, Ejaan and 'ting seah'. Since the time I told him that if he gets all Spelling, Ejaan and ting seah correct, all 3 everytime, I will get him a present. Now he has shown me 100% for Spelling and Ejaan. He told me he has 100% for Chinese and ask me for the reward. I told him to show me. Along the way, when he showed me each, my husband and I 'drama' a bit on our praises. Works and he was very proud.



No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe