Followers


Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Visit to Popular Bookstore

Following the earlier post... yep! I'm panicking. My children... nah!!

Reflecting.. I don't remember MY mum panicking during my time. Why ah? But then again, my kid's  Standard 1 syllabus now is my Standard 3 syllabus then. It is therefore no wonder why my mum can't understand why I'm so worried about my kids' studies. The pressure on young kids today is so great .. sigh!

So, I need to expand both my sons' Chinese vocab and literacy thru reading. And I need workbook practices of KSSR syllabus in preparation for Ryan's exam. I can only do English and BM for him.

So, that calls for shopping for books. I tried going to those local bookstores usually opened by Malay or Indian proprietors, thinking that KSSR for Kebangsaan schools and SJKC books are the same. Actually they are NOT. Coz I actually took a snap of the BM and English syllabus with my phone. Then when I was at the store, I checked the workbook's syllabus with my son's school books. They are not the same. The shopkeeper thinks that the KSSR syllabuses BM and English for SJKC are easier.

I made a visit with my kids to Popular Bookstore instead. I got about 3-4 books each. This is so that I can do repeat practicing by topic when I coach Ryan. And while we were there, I got some Chinese books for Ryan, Raymund and Rachel. Ryan loves encyclopedia and we found a good one in Chinese. He has been holding onto it since that day and every day and sleeping with it :). For Raymund, I got some simple Chinese storybook reading with English translation and Han Yu Pin Yin as well. Rachel didn't want to lose out, so she got herself a small Chinese English similar book and a Disney Princess tupperware.

 



All my kids were happy. But that is just the beginning. I have yet to find time to read with them. Then again, I'm Chinese illiterate. So, I have to depend on my tuition teacher instead.

My next task now is to find children's encyclopedia in Malay. So far, I can't find any. And I don't know where to look for. To get Ryan to expand vocab in any language is to get him to read his area of interest... encyclopedia. I'm asking around still.

All these collections of books will be used to help Raymund later. Hopefully, he will share the same interest in knowledge. Ryan has managed to influence him a little. But Raymund is still young. He is still very attached to his toys :). He is very partial to pencil boxes and containers.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been to DAWAMA bookstore? ( distributor for Dewan Bahasa & Pustaka ). It may have Malay encyclopedia. Check it out....

Joanne said...

I found it and they do. But I got to somewhere better. I'll blog about the source later. Check it out if it interest you too :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe