Followers


Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Desert Rose

"Fu Gui" plant or some would call 'desert rose'. My confinement lady gave me a 'fu gui' plant to add to my collection - the dark red type. Very nice.

And the plant just bore fruit which is not a regular thing. My nursery advised me to lightly tie the fruits up or bag it up coz once the fruit becomes ripe, it will break open and the wind will blow the precious seeds away. I didn't understand that :p. I would never have thought that the seeds once exposed are actually very light and featherly. Just my blurr-ness despite my passion for gardening - but it's never too late to learn ;) Well, I have never seen one before! Here is how the seeds look like.

I had fun! I took some pots and started planting the seeds. I was told that 'fu gui' planted from seeds will have very nice roots and 'bongsai' like. Really excited! I have planted 36 seeds. Some flown away unfortunately. Can't wait to see how many successful ones I'll get :).


Just fyi - For those stalks that we cut from the 'fu gui' plant and stick it to the soil, those cut stalks will not have 'nice' roots but will still grow into a good plant.

It's simple to take care. All it needs is plenty of sun, less water (like once every 2 days or no watering during rainy days) and fertilize once every 2 weeks! I was advised to use Japanese soil ... and mixed with red soil (dry soil). And if you are particular, there is a type of fertilizer specially for 'fu gui' plant .. less salty. Have fun!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe