Followers


Thursday, September 3, 2009

Down with Flu and Fever Again

My little princess was having a fever last night. I gave her paracetamol to control the fever. But in the middle of the night - it's ALWAYS in the middle of the night!! -, it shot past 39 degrees. I was pretty worried what with H1N1 brewing in our country. She showed no signs of flu or cough yet but the fever was worrying. Sometimes, these other symptoms can come later. I have been having cough and flu for the longest time. I think I must have passed it to her. Ryan was also having a flu.

Hadn't had much sleep last night. Too busy sponging Rachel trying to bring the fever down. Even so it was still above 38 degrees.

Finally, I guess the suppository finally kicked in. I gave her half (because Rachel is less than 1 year old) the rectal suppository Voltaren 12.5mg (the wax like medicine that we insert into the rectum) when the fever reached past 39 degrees. I always have it ready in case my kids are down with high fever and so far, rectal suppositories helped to bring down the fever for a period. Her fever broke in the morning.

I took her and Ryan to the pediatrician. Rachel's throat was red. So, it wasn't teething that caused the fever. She had to take antibiotic, cough and flu medicine. The pediatrician told me to watch for persistent fever in the next 1 day. If it occurs, I have to take her again for the H1N1 swab test, just in case. The pediatrician said that even though my cough and flu was mild, I can be a a H1N1 carrier since my body resistance is stronger. But quite unlikely since I had no fever... BUT then again, just in case. She is still running a low fever between medicine doses. The good part is that she is very active and alert. The danger is really when the child is not alert and appears lethargic. I really hope that the fever would go off soon.

Being a mummy paranoid, I booked for flu vaccines and H1N1 vaccines when it becomes available. There is a waiting list! I'm past number 70! I asked the pediatrician if the H1N1 vaccine is safe with no side effects. He told me that it is and it's not something new. Just a production issue now - where demand is greater than supply. Assured, I booked for it. I should have asked if I can book for us adults too but forgot! Too much on my mind!

I hate it when my kids are sick... very stressed up worrying. Part and parcel of being a mum. And mum of 3 means that I have to expect domino effect! One sick, all sick!! Sigh!

1 comment:

Alice said...

Hi Joanne, enjoy reading your blog.
As a mom to a 1 year old daughter, I see my own reflection in you, or you in me. She was admitted twice due to bronchiotis. I was crying the day they inserted a tube into her nose because she refused milk.
That was 5 months ago, and she keep having this cold, for the 4 times! aiya......so sad and heartbroken.
if you ask me, I read a lot deal about cordycepts, thinking to start her on that....since cordycept help to fight against bronchiotis, asthma...respiratory problem and the list goes on....how about u?
-Mommy Alice

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe