Followers


Thursday, January 14, 2010

Almost a Week Now..



One more day and it'll be already a week in kindy for Raymund. It wasn't easy.

On the 2nd day, Raymund refused to take the van. No choice. Have to take him into it. So, he went into the van crying. We went to the kindy to wait for him. We stayed in the car initially to see if he is ok alone. Shortly, we heard him brawling and the teacher was trying unsuccessfully to calm him. Poor boy.. he has never been alone before. Neither have most 4 year old kids there. There were still so many parents hanging around. Raymund wouldn't let us out of his sight - not just that, we have to be within 2 feet from him. He wouldn't trust us after my maid hid from him the 1st day. Suddenly it dawned on me that I have to let go that day. If he is still not manageable, I'm still at home to take him since I was on leave till Wed. Otherwise, it will be a problem on Thurs when I went back to work.

I got hold of the class teacher and her assistant and told them that we are making a move. I told Raymund as well as it is better not to hide from him and give him a shock. Of course, I expected more brawling. The assistant was holding on to him while he shouted and crying desperately for 'Mummy'. I had to make myself walk away. It may seem like a small thing...or that I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. But..believe me, it is not easy walking away from your 3 year old frightened child.

We went home and waited. Hoping that the kindy wouldn't call to say that they couldn't handle. At 11am, the van came. Raymund carrying his school bag walked smartly into the house and declared that 'I went to school myself. I sit on Uncle van myself'. Phew!

That afternoon, he had bad dream during his afternoon nap. He woke up crying so many times. My poor boy. It was almost a trauma for him.

The next morning and the next, he refused to get into the van. We had to coax him into the van and he looked back looking lost and desperate while the van drove away at 7:30am. My maid almost cried.

All these while, he has been comfortable, getting up only in the later morning. Now he has to be up at 6:30am. He was sooo not used to it. And he is definitely exhausted as well. Last night, he slept at 7:30pm!! Never before! And today, even though he had his afternoon nap, he went to bed at 8pm! He is that tired.

My heart felt very heavy for my boys. Ryan on the other hand has to take extra tuition and enrichment classes to build his fundamentals for his new kindy.. on top of his daily kindy homework. As I mentioned earlier, there is a vaaaast difference between Eduland/Beaconhouse and SuperFun Learners. He has to play catch up. He too is also exhausted. By 9:30pm-10pm, he was already asleep. I feel like cancelling his extra classes ... but do I have a choice? He will suffer also when he can't catch up. Maybe I'll lighten it when he is up to speed later.

I just feel that the education system is stressing kids younger and younger. Also it could be us parents' expectations and 'kiasu-ness'. Gone were the days when we just had fun in kindy. And the enrichment classes have been capitalizing on this need.

Hmmm...Thinking perhaps it is good to look into young children education business opportunity when I plan for my early retirement :)

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe