Followers


Monday, January 11, 2010

Chain Post #4.. Raymund's 1st Day in Kindy...Phew!


Today is Raymund's 1st day in kindy. Not easy to wake up though. After all these 3 years, he has been waking up at his own leisure. And today, he was awaken when the sky was still dark. 6:30am. Poor thing. Tantrums, of course. But we were easy on him. Ryan is also finding it difficult to adjust to waking up early. In his Eduland/Beaconhouse days, he only had to wake up at around 7:30am.

Anyway, they were pretty excited getting ready for school. Ryan was playing big brother, telling his brother, "Raymund, I take care of you, ok?" Together, they waited for the van which reached promptly at 7:30am. Surprised, Raymund went calmly and willingly up the van with Ryan. I expected screaming, shouting and dragging. In fact, I was telling my maid to be prepared to hop into the van as well.

It's my turn to watch the kids this week. Last week, my husband saw to Ryan's 1st day. This week, its my turn for Raymund. Ryan is pretty settled down in school already. It's just Raymund. And there is also THAT call from Ryan's teacher! I was told to observe him today. Sigh!

My maid and I arrived early at the kindy, waiting for the school van. My kids came down calmly from the van (they didn't see us initially). They were just fine. Ryan already knows what he has to do. I led Raymund to his class. He was ok and was playing with the toys on his table.
But I should have expected it. It's the calm before the storm! Ha, ha! Actually, it was my maid. I told her that I was going up to see Ryan and she is to watch Raymund. I suppose I wasn't specific enough. When I came back, she was outside the classroom, hiding from Raymund. You see, the classes are done in open concept. There were 3 classes separated by moving partitions in a big room. All the children were there and so were most parents. The kindy encouraged the parents 'to calm' the kids before the teachers take over. So, it was like a 'fish' market. Some children were brawling away, all parents were talking at the same time, teachers are trying to talk to and sing with the children. Headache!! As I was saying, I was surprised to find my maid outside the room and I asked if she was shoo-ed off. Then, I heard Raymund! He was crying and screaming for his maid. The teachers obviously didn't know who was the maid. I rushed in and hugged him. He wanted to go home immediately. I had to console him and talk him out of it. I was quite upset with my maid for ruining the 'sweet' moments. I told her to look after him but instead, she played hide and seek. I know she meant well but then! From then on, Raymund attached himself to us and made sure we were nearby. Being an active little 3 year old, he couldn't sit still too. He carried his bag all through .. my guess is that subconsciously he was preparing for flight. Darn!

10:45am. The 4 year olds were released early. They let the ones who were going home with parents go first, table by table. Then, they called the children who were taking the vans. The vans were making 2 trips. One to take the 4 year olds at 11am and another at 12pm for the older children like Ryan. So, Raymund had to travel alone. I knew trouble when trouble started. He refused to follow the teacher. He insisted to go home with his Mummy. No go! He has to go through this (gritting my teeth!). He cried so bad, and I could see that he was frighten. I told my maid to ride with him in the van. Didn't work. I had to close the van's door and walk away ... heart heavy. The van drove off. Then... I realized that my maid had my car keys!!! I was stuck!! Just as well, the van took them home 1st as Raymund was brawling. And just as well, the kindy is near to my house. I got my maid to cycle back and give me my keys. What a mess!!!

Ryan took the van later and was good and steady. I quietly observed him in class. I saw that he was following and participating in class. Good boy!

I got Raymund in front of me later and had a heart to heart talk. He didn't want to go to school tomorrow. Did some psycho-ing ...and more bribing. I had a deal with him that if he goes to school by van tomorrow without crying, listening to his teacher while Mummy and kakak wait outside and goes home alone in uncle's van... then he gets a nice cake. He loves cakes. Deal? Done! Let's see.

The ordeal will begin again tomorrow. Hopefully, things will go smoothly. You can't count too much on a deal with a 3 year old, right? And I don't want to frighten him either. Sigh!

Whatever it is... same thoughts... nowadays, the education expectations of the young children is getting higher and higher. If we are not carefully, the children of tomorrow will not get to enjoy true childhood. This is very very sad!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe