Followers


Thursday, December 24, 2009

My 1st Week at Work


My 1st week of work turned out pretty well considering that I was dragging my feet to start work before then :) Maybe it was the short break that refreshed me. Or maybe that my portfolio is somewhat new and resembling my earlier experience which was more exciting. My boss gives me a free hand in quite a lot of areas but his expectation is nevertheless pretty high. What counts is that he gives me the assurance that I have his support and backing. And I'm very happy with it. Frankly, I had a lousy experience once upon a time with a lousy supervisor who felt threatened by my presence...and too much politics. Needless to say, my opportunities and career was suppressed. Sigh!

You wouldn't believe it but at the interview, I was quite point blank about my need to balance my life. While I promised delivery, I still need to be there for my family. I was specific about me being not able to stay back late unlike the young and single. Some would say that I was pretty silly to bring this up at interview but I feel that if I have to give up the balance, then the work is not suitable for me. After all, working is a means to an end. My boss remembers that and he is quite alright with it. How nice! Of course, I will have to play my part to deliver. What more can I ask. Hope this good luck stays :)



I have to wake up early now and it is almost non stop at work. Yes! This is only my 1st week - haha! When I reached home, I was so drained and practically knocked out before 11 pm. Just as well I have a tuition teacher for Ryan to coach him in his studies. I just don't have the energy. Maybe my body is still in 'siew lai lai' mode like when I was between jobs. Or.. I think .. highly likely.. it is because of my age that is catching up. So unlike those young days when I had boundless energy... I remember I could have a hard day's work, finished late and still go out 'lepak'.

I miss my 24 hour time with my kids. I miss the carefree time during my break when I can decide to visit this shop and run that errand at will. But then again, I scold my kids less now - only see them when I'm not at work mah :) So I appreciate them more and value my weekends and public holidays. I tend to take them for granted when I was not working. Whatever it is, the reality is that I have to earn $$$ to provide for my kids. Education is so expensive what with those extra enrichment classes. I just wish I can have an early retirement in time to come.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

Merry Christmas!! Glad everything is working well :)

I am looking forward to going back to work too!

Joanne said...

Good for you! But also enjoy your stay at home time too :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe