Followers


Monday, June 1, 2009

Hiring Confinement Ladies



I delivered 3 babies and I had 3 different confinement ladies. The first one for Ryan was ok - all new experiences for me and nothing to compare. I couldn't get her for Raymund because she has stopped being a confinement lady and became a baby sitter instead due to medical reasons. The 2nd confinement lady was a nightmare! Rachel's confinement lady was very good and we have kept in contact since. She is great and helped me kept my house clean even though I have maids. In fact, she cooked for my little girl's full moon just to help me save cost. We got along very well. Recently, She just made bak chang specially for me. Not bad, ya?

After 3 rounds, I thought I would like to help preggy moms like my Cousin Vivien :) around the topic of confinement ladies based on my experiences. Here are some of the Q&As. Enjoy reading :)

When to hire a confinement lady (CL)?
About 6 years ago, it was ok to hire a CL after the pantang period (3-4 months). As time goes by, demand went up and supply of CLs are scarce. So, people book CL just when they found out that they are pregnant. I have such difficulties finding a CL for Rachel when I was 3 months pregnant - I was considered late!!

Confinement Lady or Confinement House?
There are some confinement houses that offer food and board for moms and their newborns. It is more expensive. Some moms choose them over CL as they do not want strangers in their house or for convenience purposes. I have no such experiences. So, can't help you there but to let you know that there is such an option. 

What is the going rate for Confinement Ladies?
5 years ago was RM2,600-RM2,800 for 30 days. Rachel's CL at the end of last year was RM3000. The going wage now is about RM3300 (could be higher!) and most CLs are only offering 28 days. So when you ask about the wage, ask how many days they are going to work with you. If you choose 28 days, it would mean that your CL will not be around to help you on your baby's full moon. If you have parents to help you, then this should be ok.

Important!! If your confinement is crossing over Chinese New Year, the wage will double!!! They may also ask for days off during Chinese New Year. Do try to see if you can negotiate for lower.

What about angpow for confinement ladies?
Angpow is necessary for 'pantang' purposes on the part of the Confinement Ladies. My CL even ask for an angpau when she started work just for 'yee see'/ritual purposes only. The main angpau is at the end of the confinement when you pay them the wage. Some CLs will insist for a specific amount upfront for the angpau eg RM200. Others will leave it up to you. So, you can give according to how happy and satisfied you are with their services. 

Booking fee for confinement ladies?
There is no written contract with CL. If you are happy and they are happy :), then they will ask for a deposit to confirm their service. They have to know how serious you are so that they will not commit to another 'client' for the same time. Try not to give more than RM300.

What is the role of a confinement lady?
Strictly speaking a CL's role is just to care for the mother and the new born baby ONLY. This will include cooking and washing for the mother and the baby. Some CLs stick by this. 

If you need the CL to cook, wash and care for your husband and older kids/parents, please tell them and see if they are ok with it. Lay down the duties that you need from them and be reasonable about it because the main focus is still the mother and the demanding little one. They may ask for more $$.

Do be open about this and clarify upfront as you don't want to stress up your confinement with quarrels and dissatisfaction.

What to look out for in a Confinement Lady?
  • Ask your friends to refer. This is so that they will be able to tell how 'good' the recommended CL is. 
  • If it is possible (since some CLs are from outstation), meet up with the CL and see if you 'like' her. 
  • A good cook!!! The best part about confinement is CONFINEMENT FOOD!!! This is the one and only time that you can eat Confinement Food without getting over-heated. So maximize this pleasure with a good cook. Some hubbies look forward to it. Mine did :)
  • Non calculative CL - you will know when you speak to her. Remember, you have to stay with her for 1 month!
  • One with years of experience. There are lots of 'pantangs' to follow and Chinese herbs to take at each stage in the 30-day confinement. A good CL will take care of you until you are rosy with health.
  • Not a lazy CL. You don't want to 'wake' the CL when your baby is screaming for attention or push her to clean up or care for the baby - I've hearing stories about this. But of course, how can you tell that at point of hire?? Then a referred CL is all the more important.
Lastly, is it better to hire from Confinement Agencies eg Pei Ling?
I have never tried or even approach these agencies. Of course there are some up sides to it. But, I prefer to 'know' my CL before they come to my house. With these agencies, you may not know who you get. Check out AMN Mead Johnson forum. There are some discussions about this.

Hope this helps. I will cover in another post about how to manage your CL when they finally arrive at your doorstep. Enjoy reading :)


35 comments:

Joanne said...

successful!! :)

aricia said...

good .....will leave more comments soon
hheheheeh

Rene Lee said...

Gosh! You're getting so good at this you should consider opening some agency to help moms-to-be. Actually, come to think about it, I don't think there's all that many places which offers help and advices for such purpose in Malaysia.

My Lil' Monster said...

Hi Jo,
My first time blog hopping here. U hv great info on Parenting - Welldone.

Can learn some tips from you if I hv a second child.

BTW, thanks for sharing your experiences thru your blog.

Joanne said...

Thanks :)
Just became a blogaholic lately :)
Mostly based on what I have gone thru but I'm no expert really. Just sharing bits of info and hope I can help some new mommies along the way :)

WoeiShan said...

Hi Joanne,
Can I hv our confinement lady contact no.

I'm expecting my 3rd bb, EDD is nxt yr Feb end.

I checked MJ forum, looks like not really alot of comments on each confinement lady.

Basically, most of them requesting to send via email.

I saw comments on you had recommended to someone.

Therefore, i drop u a comment in your blog.

You can email me woeishan@hotmail.com

Thanks alot. :)

Joanne said...

Hi Woei Shan -- I'll get you the number. Check your email trow nite ya.

Adelyn Loo said...

Hi Joanne,

I came about your blog and read about your write-up on CL. You mentioned that the CL you hired for Rachel was very good. I am wondering you could provide me her number? I am due in May and had called about 15 CL since Nov, but all of them are booked already. So i am trying my luck. Please email me the details if you don't mind. My email is alwe@rocketmail.com.

Thanks a heap.

Cheers,
Adelyn Loo

Anonymous said...

Hi. Enjoyed reading your blog. Can you email me contact for the confinement lady you had during Rachel's time to yeo2010@gmail.com? Thanks.

Karen said...

Hi,

Can you please email me the contact for the CL you had during Rachel's time? I can't believe it's so challenging to get a good CL...

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Karen

Kitt said...

Hello, thanks so much for the tips! Can I have the contact no of Rachel's CL as well? I am due in Nov '11 and can't seem to get any referred confinement ladies rite now (all fully booked). Email me at sengkitt@gmail.com

Thanks!

sze wei said...

Hi! I had one cl in mind and she's already taken ;(( could u share with me some details why Rachel's cl was good and I'd definitely like to contact her too. Does she encourage breastfeeding ? Thanks!!!

joey said...

Hi,

I happened to come across your blog and read bout your confinement period when you have Rachel. From your describe she seems to have a good attitude towards her work. I'm now currently in my 19th week of pregnancy. I had been calling more than i can remember CL contact number until i lost count. All of them seems to be unavailable during the dragon year. Would you mind to let me know your CL contact details? You can email to my email address sjoeyml@msn.com.

Thanks.

Regards,
Joey

Anonymous said...

hi Joanne,

Good blog!! do u mind to email me the contact of ur good confinement lady? Desperately looking for one.
baileyhiew@hotmail.com

thanks Bailey

Anonymous said...

Can you emel me your gd CL contact?My emel is cll0405@streamyx.com

Anonymous said...

Can you send me the contact no. of your good CL? yvonne118@hotmail.com Thank you very much!

GE said...

Hi, do you mind to email me the contact for the good confinement lady? Thanks a lot.
candy.ong1@gmail.com

VC said...

Hi,
Please share the confinement lady contact - velchanpl@gmail.com
thank you so much and have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

Ho Joanne,

DO you mind sharing your CL contact? I'm looking one for my wife which I think is a bit late already.

Please email me at ckamyong@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Hope you don't mind sharing Rachel's CL contact number with me..

Please email me at munth3ng@gmail.com.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi...noted you were satisfied with your CL when you had Rachel. please email me her details. kaliehs@gmail.com thanks heaps

Joanne said...

Sorry all! Have been on zzz mode from my blog for a while. Bz!

For those who wants my CL number... her it is 016 397 5849 Wan Je. And congrats!!

Chyi said...

Hi Joanne, i just got off the phone wan Je and she is charging Rm3800 and not including 2 angpows. She seems reluctant when I mentioned to her my house is 2 storey. I find her too expensive.

Can u share with me more of her work and how is she like in terms of attitude? She is also asking for Rm300 deposit. To be honest, I have read a lot of forums CL asking for deposit and then disappeared.

Regards, Joanna
Joannachuayc@yahoo.com.au

Parco KS said...

HI all,

I have used a lady call Vivian which I got from this company MediGuide Mom. They basicly provide helpers for new mom during confinement.

I was very happy with Vivian as the charge was very reasonable at about 2.5k for 28 days. Mediguide mom was very helpful as well as they gave me a pack of information regarding food to eat, how to tc of baby and many other useful information.

I was very pleased with their service as they were really hands on with the helpers they send. They call you regularly to check if you were ok with the lady and in case you are unhappy they will send u a replacement. Thankfully for me I was very happy with Vivian especially with the amount i paid and the service i got.

With medigiude mom you have the option of part time helpers or full time.I was with a full time helper which is Vivian in the first month. Now that am off confinement I still get one of their lady to come part time from 8am to 4pm to help me out as I actually dont have enough space in my apartment for long stay over.

during confinement with vivian she would prepare meals for me which we agreed on the meals before the start of the confinemet period so we agreed on set of meals for 28 days. usually mixtures of soup and veges.

the good thing i liked about mediguide mom was that they encouraged breastfeeding so when vivian came to me she was very supportive of breastfeeding and the company would actually call and ask if i was breast feeding and they were the days that i felt really frustrated and could not do it as every 2 hours my baby was hungry. but luckily vivian was patient with me and mediguide mom keeps sending me emails on importance of breastfeeding which i thought was encouraging.

As i was breast feeding Vivian would sleep with me and the baby. She would change my baby nappies, bath her, and baby massage every morning. she would wash my clothes and prepare my meals and snacks.

mediguide mom informed me that whenever i can i should hug and kiss my baby alot as that would make my baby recognise who the mom is. I guess its those small advices that I found very useful .

you can try calling mediguide mom 0102322785 and they will ask for basic information such as part time or full time, which area u live, etc. The good thing is they actually have options on ladies that you can choose and u r comfortable with.

good luck Mommies!

Unknown said...

Hi,

I have just completed my confinement with Mediguide. The lady introduced to me her name is Analyn. Ana was really good to me during my confinement. she handled night feed and took care of my baby and me really well. She was very patient and was very gentle. Her patience is what made me liked her alot.

Mediguide was supportive as well. they thought me how to use tesco online shopping so i can get my stuff delivered to the house which was very useful during confinement and they gave me many practical tips.

Analyn massages was very nice as too. If you are looking for somone who is really patience then i definitely would suggest to ask for Analyn. and yes she brought food for me to the bed as well and train my maid at home on how to bathe baby and handle the feeding so my maid can help me take care of my baby after her service is over. this was very generous of her.

anyone looking for analyn will still have to go through mediguide moms and the number is the same 0102322785

Unknown said...

Hi all mummy's to be,

First of all, congrats! ^^ I had a good CL which I would like to recommend to all the future mummy out there. This CL that I had, she is friendly, hardworking, trust able, caring, patient, and most importantly she loves children. I bet you will not regret having her as your CL. Below are the particulars:-

Madam Chai (016-3206726) - Staying in Subang Jaya, Selangor

Regards,
Seline Lee

Unknown said...

HI, Joanne,

Would you mine to share ur confinement lady contact number wif me?? joeywong1986@gmail.com. I'm looking for CL. Will due next yr Mar. TQ.

Unknown said...

Please share the contact of your CL for Rachel. Anyone here has other experiences with Mediguide moms?

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne, may I have your CL contact no when you have your 3rd child Rachel? Please email me at ann_tan_01@hotmail.com
Thanks
Ann

Elya Elisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elya Elisha said...

Hello everyone,
I've just finished with my confinement month. I would like to give credit to my confinement lady. She actually wakes up early in the morning to do house chores, as well as cooking breakfast and she is already done with all the laundries once I am awake. She is beyond my expectations and I am especially most satisfied with her taking care of my precious baby. My newborn is mostly with her, and she volunteers to lend me a helping hand so that I am able to rest more. She satisfies my belly with her cooking skills. Her dishes were hearty and warm. It was rather delicious and the dishes she cooks are quite hard to find here in West Malaysia. She cooks different varieties of dishes to satisfy my boring pallet. She knows how to cook KA CANG MA and not to mention that her PORK VINEGAR dish is superb! Overall, I experienced an incredible confinement month thanks to her. Her bubbly and friendly personality kept me away from my dull and boring confinement month. I would like to recommend her to all of guys. Her services is by far the best , compared to my friend's experience with their confinement lady. Motherhood was tiring, but it is a bundle of joy. She only does services for those who's doing confinement themselves and she also does confinement catering services. If I recalled correctly, she told me once that she only does the confinement catering services around subang jaya area.
This is her contact,
0163206726. Madam Chai

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne,

Would you mind sharing your CL Rachel's contact? My email is cherylz18@gmail.com

Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hi anyone looking for confinement nannies kindly contact Ms. Amutha 012 9898267. This is Indian Traditional Confinement services. We have team if experienced confinement ladies who will provide the daily care of the new mum and new born baby. Our confinement ladies have experienced over many years helping many mums in this traditional practise.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne, may I have your CL contact no for your 3rd child Rachel? Please email to vivian_yiew@yahoo.com. Thanks

myin lee said...

Hi Joanne, may I have your CL Rachel's contact no? Please email to myinlee13@gmail.com. thanks

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe