Followers


Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Just Checked Out BAO BEI Reading Wonderland (Chinese Enrichment for Age 3-10)


I was just chatting with my friend the other day. While we are Chinese illiterate parents cracking our heads over how to help my kids through Chinese school later, I realise that the opposite is also true for parents who are weak in English, particularly in grammar. This friend even went through the trouble to have a 1-1 tuition for herself so that she can teach her daughter later. What mothers do for their kids!

Lets talk about my case. The debate goes on about whether Chinese iliterate parents should send their children to Chinese schools. How then can we teach them? I have heard so many stories about how young children 'suffer' through Chinese schools when they had weak foundation and do not have parents to help them. A lot ended up switching to English, rather kebangsaan schools later. Should I let my son go through that? I have also had advices to send my son to Chinese schools and reinforce with Chinese tuition to help them through. Double whammy! I really don't know!

I have been thinking of letting my son take Chinese reinforcement classes for now. Then see in the next 1 and half years how well he takes to it. If necessary, then I'll probably re-register him into English school instead. I know for a fact that if my son knows his work, he'll enjoy his lessons. Otherwise, he will lose confidence and isolate himself. It happened last year in kindergarten since he was a late speaker (versus all his classmates).

So I checked out this highly recommended Chinese enrichment centre - BAO BEI READING WONDERLAND. They have various branches. I'm thinking of sending both Ryan and Raymund (Raymund for a taste of lessons and to instill some discipline in him ;) ).

BAO BEI has daily lessons of 1 and half hour each - various slots available to choose. They even provide transportation facility in the event we need. The lessons are quite fun and lively, designed to engage young children and to develop the right brain. They have activities involving whole group, small groups and one to one. The group activities are like fun, games, art/crafts and music... all Chinese driven and guided by a few teachers at the same time. The 1-1 lessons drills on word recognition and Chinese vocabulary using the flash card method. The children are 'rewarded' with cards that they can take home to show off to their parents once they know a set of characters. They will be taught Chinese poems - even traditional poems by Li Pai (cantonese Li Pak) as well. When asked about how would children understand them - even older kids/adults are struggling! They come by with an explanation that it is to teach them how to pronounce Chinese and train them the smooth flow of Chinese sentences. Not so much on understanding the poem which they are not expected to. I guess that sounds logical to me! Every week, there is a theme. The children will be taken through each team with games, activites and songs. They also teach Chinese strokes through songs as well to make it simple and more interesting to the kids. My friend's kids love the lessons. They offer 5 days trial class to assess the new children. I will plan my leave first and arrange for my sons to go for it.

Most children like mine starts with the basic or foundation class. The basic or foundation level is equivalent to Malaysian Primary 1 Chinese level. Then they will move up all the way to Standard 4 Chinese level. Hence they did mention that this enrichment centre is meant for kids age between 3 and 10 years. I have also asked that for children like my kids who knows almost NO Chinese, how long does it take to go through the Foundation level. Any problem? I was told that the 1 on 1 will drill from the beginning. It would generally take 1.5 to 2 years to finish Foundation. Just in time for Ryan's Standard ONE!! For Raymund, I'm starting him young! As I said, I'll see Ryan through this first and decide if he is suited for Chinese Primary school.

9 comments:

Cynful Pleasure said...

oh.. hopefully Ryan is able to cope.. Indeed, yes its not easy for English literate child to go through Chinese, however it will be useful if they can have it... just like me :)

Joanne said...

thanks for the encouragement, Cynthia :)I really do hope so too but I don't want to force. Lets see after he attends Bao Bei :)

Fledge said...

hello, thanks for sharing your opinion on Baobei. I've called the branch in USJ to find our more about classes for 3 year olds. My daughter will be 3 soon and she is English-speaking. They recommended the 3 times a week class. Each class is 1.5 hours long. Cost = RM380/month. Frankly, I feel that 3 times a week may be too much for 3 year olds? Furthermore, the fees are steep. It costs more that kindy (5 days a week). Do let me know your thoughts on whether it's worth the time and effort.

Joanne said...

Hi Fledge,
I din know that we can take 3x a week. Thanks for sharing. Perhaps 3yr olds do not need to go daily. But I intend to send my eldest for daily session to brush up his Chinese. I feel that its worth trying. They have 5 days trial classes. Why not check it out before deciding?

r.fish said...

actually 3days is not too much for a kids.as they can easily absorb the words easily&even faster than 5-6yrs old kids.some more as i knew,3days per week the fee is not much diff,slight expensive than 5days per week.Fledge,if not maybe u can consider only send ur kid after 4.5yrs old.then maybe u no need to start earlier.i used my own flash card(words they will use on primary school)which asked a fren to print for me,to teach the children,they can learn it as well.if budget problem,maybe u can teach ur own provided u got the patient or time.

Joanne said...

r.fish - thanks for the tip. Actually I'm already doing my own flashcards for English. I'm not printing them. Just writing with marker pen is good enough and is very effective on my son. I have shared my learnings in the earlier post. Just click on CHILD'S LEARNING N EDUCATION under the label cloud on the right side of my blog.

The problem here with me is that I'm Chinese illiterate. Even if I did the cards for my sons, I can't teach them. Thats why I'm looking for outside help.

Fledge said...

hi everyone, it's been awhile - i was wondering if anyone has tried out Bao Bei and what's the feedback?

Joanne said...

Hi Fledge... I didn't. Got home tuition instead. But the parents I know are singing their praises. You can always go for their 1 week trial?

Inz said...

Hey there.. I'm a malay mother and was looking for a home tuition for my son..how do i find one? And how much would it cost me? Thank you..

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe