Followers


Friday, March 12, 2010

My Sons Are Hooked on iPhone and Wii Games!


Are computer games bad for kids? Especially kids so young like my sons (they are 5+ and 3+ years old)? Some would think so.. especially when the games show bloody and violent killings. But then again, us parents can always choose not to buy these games for them, right? I just got my brand new iPhone a couple of months ago. Love it! It just spoiled my choices for other phone brands. It's like having a mini computer in your hand, all the time. And I discovered the wonders of games and applications. Haha! I put my iPhone out my sons' reach. Do you how fragile is that thing? Eventually I still let my sons play with it - provided they sit down and hold it carefully. Once tried, they are hooked. Even my 3 year old son knows how to play the games. I'm amazed how they can figure it out just like that. I don't even know how to play with some of them. My eldest has already figured where to buy the games on the iPhone and has been bugging me to download! Of course, I choose only the free ones and the RM0.99 ones :)

The good thing about it? Well at least they sit still, AND quietly, in restaurants and in the car. And that's saying something :) Two weekends ago, we got us the Nintendo Wii. The initial intention was to get both of them a handheld game set each. Gameboy is lousy. To buy 2 handheld Nintendo DS is nuts. For about the same, we got Nintendo Wii instead. We had some fun. Mummy and Ryan played together. Daddy also joined in. Raymund is not too keen.. he still prefers the iPhone as it is easier for him. So, while we are on the Wii, Raymund sits quietly with the iPhone. Parents-kids bonding! What more can you ask?! I love it.

I also used it as motivation for my sons to do their homework and study. Works also. Something like a reward after they have been good. The game itself? Nintendo Wii games are quite ok. Not violent ... at least not the ones I have. Actually, I encourage my kids to play computer games, whether on PC, TV or even on the iPhone. I believe that it helps my kids with hand eye coordination. Even reflex. Not to mention, working up some young brain juices to figure out the games. No harm there. Having said that, excessive is not good. So I control the time. Like I said. As a reward. When it is not easy to get, it becomes a treasure :) A weekend fun time .. only if they have completed their homework. Am I mean or what :) No Wii on weekdays. They have to be in bed early. And I do not want to spoil their eye sight! So, tomorrow is Wii time. Ryan had already mentioned it tonight.... reminding us. Smart boy! I just used this to negotiate reading time with him :) I got him to read 4 Clifford Phonics Fun Books with me at bedtime tonight :) The fact that I got new games today helped. Ha,ha!



No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe