Followers


Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Desert Rose Seeds Didn't Make It


Darn! I made a boo boo out of the precious seeds that I got from my Desert Rose (fu gui fah) - see post: http://joanne-momsays.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-desert-rose.html. Should have asked the experts first on how to plant the seeds before I went about doing it. Planted 36 seeds but none of them made it! So sad! The up side is that I learnt something new. This is where I have gone wrong. May sound like common sense to the experts but to amateur home gardeners like me ... sigh!

Mistake #1: The critical one. I planted the seeds to deep! It should be about 3 inch soil beneath, then spread the seeds on top and then cover by a thin layer of soil. I did abtout 2-3 inch of soil on top. Difficult for the seeds to 'break'.

Mistake #2: Another critical mistake. I left it out in the open and under the rain. Too wet. Seeds got bad! 'Reput'. Moreover, these are desert rose - don't need too much water!

Mistake #3: Leave it indoor and shaded. Out of the sun and rain. Once sprouted (mine never did :( ), it wouldn't survive the hot sun until it has grown about 4 inch high, I was told.

Wonder when my desert rose is gonna sprout another pair of seed again.. I'll make sure I'll get it right this time.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe