Followers


Tuesday, October 20, 2009

More Flashcards




I have been slacking for a while now. Not very diligent in my quest to better my son's English. And not very proud of it. Just started to pick up on it again as I realized that Ryan has been getting away with excuses like 'Mummy, I'm tired' and escaped studies.

The homemade flashcards that I mentioned in the earlier post worked very well on him. He is very proud when he recognized some words that he had learnt from those cards during his story reading session. A while ago, I bought a set of double sided word cards by 'Your Baby Can Read!' series.


Now I'm using this in combination of my homemade flashcards. The only problem around here is that the usual phonics that I was teaching Ryan didn't work here - at least at his basic phonics level. So, I have just left it for 'word recognition' instead. With these cards, I'm teaching him how to combine more than 1 syllables to make a word eg. 'twin-kle' or 'um-bre-lla'. Slow but steady, with lotsa encouragement and praises. With the old homemade cards, I'm 'challenging' Ryan - trying to make it fun for him - to read me the words as fast as he can. I don't know about other kids but my sons love to race. So, that did excite him a bit :)

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Thanks for sharing Judy :)
I too believe in repetitive learning. Works very well on my boy

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe