Followers


Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chinese medicine for cough & flu? Hao Zao San, Cordyceps, Bird Nests, 'Suet kap'..

My kids are down with cough and flu AGAIN! Will it never end?? They have been taking medicine for close to a month already and now, a second bout of cough and flu attacked again.


The earlier cough was almost subsiding. I was still skeptical about the effects of Singular and worried, like most moms do, about administering drugs to my kids for long period of time. I turned to Chinese medicine. My little mind tells me that Chinese medicine being herbs and roots (and I mean genuine ones with no ++ ingredients if you know what I mean) should be better than drugs. No science here really... just my mind on overdrive mode :)


I bought 2 types of Chinese medicine - known to most moms - Hou Zao San (Monkey Bezoar Powder) and Cordyceps Powder. They don't come cheap - costed me RM90 each. And if I buy from Eu Yan Sang, it would be more expensive at RM138 for Hou Zao San. Price aside, it works! According to Eu Yan Sang, Hou Zao San is supposed to 'clear excessive phlegm, relieve cough and asthmatic bronchitis, especially suitable for infants suffering from chronic cough'. My mom gave me lots of it when I was a kid. Cordyceps is supposed to help strengthen the lungs. It comes with various grades and can be as expensive as few thousand Ringgit. Too soon to see the effect yet.

As I was saying, it was subsiding when the 2nd round of cough and flu attacked again! My husband thought that it was better to take them to see the pediatrician. Guess what! Both sons got ear infection again! Can Hao Zao San help here? No idea. Once again, the works... antibiotic, cough, phlegm, flu medicine. Sigh!


One thing for sure, I need to 'poh' (cantonese for 'strengthen health wise') their lungs and natural defense system. The chinese sin seh recommended the expensive bird nest and cordyceps. I have the cordyceps now - thats fine. And I choose 'suet kap' (sorry, not sure what you call this in English) over bird nests. Works about the same way I was told, and it is cheaper. And also it is largely because you just don't know how genuine the bird nests is. There have been talks about bleaching agent in bird nests. My late gynae also told me not to take bird nests when I was pregnant as we don't know if it is really genuine. The fake ones are made of 'petroleum' components which is harmful to the fetus. My pediatrician is worried about infection. So, to play it safe, I got the 'suet kap' instead. Have yet to prepare it (double boil with sugar cane rock sugar) as my kids have to be well and healthy first. Waiting ...




8 comments:

My Lovely 'A' said...

My daughter seems to have this problem very often. It is recurring now and then. Not too sure about the Chinese medicines but it worth to try. Have u given it to your children? Will be difficult to feed them Chinese medicines in powder form?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Joanne,
Same here with my 2 kids. Kor kor has had 2 bouts of cough and cold within the span of one month. During this time, the cold and cough also spread to mei mei. Todate, kor kor has not recovered. Already seen a GP once and a paed twice. The last visit, the paed said kor kor might be having an allergy or sinus. Still taking the allery medicine and see how it goes. As for mei mei, her cold has recovered but now comes the cough pulak. sigh..

I'm trying the hau zao san for mei mei. Strangely, she likes the taste of chinese medicine like hau zao san, bao ying tan..etc compared to the sweet western medicine (which I had a tough time feeding) hmm..?

Does chinese herbs work? I guess have to take it for some time to see the result and also depends on individual, huh.

justmommy

Joanne said...

Anonymous - Lots of mum said it helped. In my case, I saw that my sons were better after taking it but then they caught on ear infection later - sigh! I suppose chinese med has its use. But when it gets complicated, still best see a paed.

My Lovely 'A' - my younger son has the same issue. Try this. It works for my son. Put a bit of sugar in the hou zao san so that it is not too difficult to drink. Dilute it a bit more (not so thick as difficult to swallow). Have a glass of water on standby. Each time she takes a bit (not all at one time ya - my son vomits if so), then quickly give her water to wash it down. Then continue till finish. Hope this helps :)

Rene Lee said...

Hi couz. With the "snow frogs" (shuet kap), if you are using sugar cane, you don't need to put in rock sugar coz the sugar cane is naturally sweet enough. You just have to make sure that when they grind the sugar cane that they do not add any ice. It becomes even sweeter as it thickens when it comes to boil.

Sugar cane also helps get rid of the "seng" smell. Sometimes, if there is extra, we would keep it in the fridge and take it later. It's nice cold too...just like eating jelly :)

Joanne said...

yep... but I din get the fresh sugar cane water. Got the rock sugar cane 'sugar' instead. The chinese sin seh told me to buy ;p
Perhaps, I'd also try the fresh sugar can too - great suggestion, couzy :)

pediatric emr said...

Well, in my case whenever my nephew has a colds and flu I always call her pediatrician and they tell me what to do.

-mel-

Anonymous said...

hi
my son's asthmatic and has sinus problem. he used to visit the doc (be it english or chinese) on alternate week due to cough and flu. seeing him on medication every other week was horrifying. so, i decided to try out the e excel millennium drink to boost his immunity since the cordyceps didn't help much. i am so glad that since then visits to doc has lessen so, so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi, may I know wat ++ ingredients did u mean in jao zoo san? Cos I do not know how to differentiate genuine one! Urgently need to know pls email me @ c_ming83@yahoo.com

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe