Followers


Tuesday, April 21, 2009

HFM (Hand Foot and Mouth disease) Scare!!

I have been down and out with sore throat, voice lost, ear infection and the works! My kids are still down with cough and flu! Sigh! While at work yesterday, 2 of my colleagues told me that their child at home 'kena' hand foot and mouth disease (HFM) and one of my colleagues is also having cough and sore throat. Perhaps I am a HFM carrier, he told me. That really freaked me out. I wasn't so worried about my 2 sons as I was with my baby daughter. My sons are on antibiotic now as they have ear infection but my girl is totally vulnerable. I called home and told my maids to check for signs. Luckily none.

Then came night - we suddenly saw spots on my baby girl's feet. Freaked out! My baby daughter was innocently smiling happily at me. I felt really 'sum tung' (heart sick) if she has got the HFM disease. She wouldn't be smiling later - probably crying like mad. My eldest had it when he was 2+years and it was really really pitiful. He couldn't eat, he couldn't drink. His mouth was full of ulcer. We had to snip the bottle nipple so that the milk can pour down his throat - it was too painful to suck. He was soo hungry that he forced himself to eat noodles while tears were falling due to pain. I felt so helpless then. What if my baby daughter got HFM. She wouldn't be able to tell me and would likewise refuse milk and water. So 'sum tung' for my princess. I took her to the pediatrician this morning. Thank God!!! HE doesn't think it is HFM - probably some very hungry mosquito was having a meal on her. He also checked me for ulcers in case I'm a carrier. He doesn't think so. But continue to observe. I was so relieved.

Here are some of the things that moms should know about HFM. I'm talking about the harmless ones - not the dangerous strains here.

What to look out for:
  • Incubation period is about 1 week
  • Fever may be present before the spots. In my son's case, there was no fever.
  • Appearance of spots/rash on the palm of hands, sole of feet, buttocks or even on knees. Then it will spread!
  • If so, don't wait. Just bring the child to the doctor. Keep other children away from him/her.
A note here. I'm no doctor. Just a concerned mom sharing experiences. So, if there is a case, just bring your child to the doctor immediately for medical attention/advice.

What do do:
  • See a doctor immediately
  • Stay away from school or child care - to contain the spread
  • There is no specific effective drug and medicine to treat or prevent HFM. Docs will only provide symptomatic treatment to relieve fever, aches, or pain from the mouth ulcers.
  • Dehydration is a concern because the mouth sores may make it difficult and painful for children to eat and drink.
  • Keep them cool. Drink lots of water.
  • My doc told me to feed ice cream to my son
  • If there is fever, dress the child in light, thin clothing - sponge with room temperature or warm water. Drink lots of water
How to prevent:
  • Just keep clean and hope for the best.
  • Frequently wash hands especially after playing, toilet, etc
  • Bath and clean immediately after school or outing.
  • Wipe down house furniture, care, toys etc with disinfectant - eg Dettol
  • Keep tab on kindergarten/school for HFM outbreak. Then you may consider whether to send them to school. Some kindergarten only close down when there are a few cases. May be a bit too late.
  • Avoid contact with any HFM children - contagious
  • If adults are sick, stay away from the children. We may be carriers! HFM on adults can be just a case of sore throat

JUST KEEP CLEAN.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe