Followers


Thursday, April 2, 2009

Should Chinese illiterate parents register their kids in Chinese schools?

Should we register our son in a Chinese primary school? My husband and I are chinese illiterate and at home, we communicate in English. Like many parents, we wanted to register our son in a Chinese school for various reasons:
1. Chinese is an important language - even non Chinese parents are sending their kids to Chinese schools
2. Chinese schools are strong in Math and Science
3. Generally, Chinese schools are better in managing discipline.

However, we are really worried. Can our son cope? He is still slow in catching up with his studies and activities even though he has made some improvements since last year (see my earlier posting about 'My son is slow in speech development'). But can he really cope? He does not speak the language and learning the Chinese strokes seems like a difficult task. Discipline may be better in Chinese schools, but being protective parents, we worry that it gets too strict especially if he has difficulty following!

I have friends who prefer the Kebangsaan schools. To them, Chinese is just another language that can be picked up. And English, no matter what, is and will still be the key 'business' language. They are of opinion that building IQ and EQ are more important and that the non-Chinese schools can deliver better. Most of all, they do not believe that children should be pressured into doing mountains of homework!!

Finally, we decided to register my son in a Chinese school. Why? A kindergarten principal advised us .. it is harder to be accepted in a Chinese school and we still have time to coach my son. Worse case, it is easier to pull him out of a Chinese school for a Kebangsaan school later.

Next ... I am looking out for Chinese enrichment classes (even home tuition) to help my son...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

john's actually chinese educated in primary school and like it or not, it's great for people like us! haha. I'm always asking him "what does this say" and really is helpful (dare i say powerful?) when dealing with the chinese ed community. i do wish i could've continued my classes when i was younger...

Joanne said...

So do I!! My level is just kindy level and then whatever I learnt from watching too many HK TVB movies :). It ain't gonna help me teach my kiddos tho haha! You shld see me struggling to guide my KINDY son do his chinese homework now!

Fledgeling said...

Like you, my hubby and I are Chinese illiterate. I have tried picking up Chinese by going for part-time classes when I was in uni but it was really hard. Plus the lack of practice doesn't help - I've forgotten a lot of what I learnt. I'm also thinking about sending my 3 year-old to a Chinese primary school but I do worry that I won't be able to help her with her homework. Plus, Chinese schools are notorious for giving lots of homework! It will be a struggle.... do share about the Chinese enrichment classes when you can.

Joanne said...

Hi check out my recent post about BAO BEI. Maybe that can help. I'm thinking of sending my sons there.

http://joanne-momsays.blogspot.com/2009/06/just-checked-out-bao-bei-reading.html

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe