Followers


Monday, April 6, 2009

Try this cheap & good PHONICS reading series


Once upon a time …MY time, I never knew PHONICS. I was only taught what they call ‘Suku Kata’ now. So, when I first send my eldest to kindergarten last year, I realized I had to learn Phonics TOO. Otherwise, how to teach him? It was quite laughable that I had to learn kindergarten stuff again after so very long time. But, no choice for us moms really. My eldest son was a late bloomer (see earlier post on ‘My son was Slow in Speech Development’)… slow in speech development and thus affecting other development areas. Phonics was a problem. My son’s kindy teacher burnt me a CD so that I can start learning :) :) and then guide my kid. He has no problem with single sound. But when it comes to sound blending, he just couldn’t get it!!

So, mom goes hunting. I was very specific about what to look out for. I wanted step by step approach sound blending series, simple with key words, graphics and a short story to hold my son’s attention After many rounds of hunting for the right materials, I came across this series from a local publisher, NOON Publication called MY BIG BOOK OF PHONICS READING PROGRAMME – definitely a bigger than normal book. It has just the stuff I need. My son likes the book and I see improvement when I teach him. Here’s a pix of the 2 series that I bought. The price is very affordable – around RM13 each and they can be found easily in hypermarkets (I got mine at Carrefour) and some local book stores. Worth trying!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know where to buy CD teaching phonics. I need to learn phonics too to teach my daughter and son.

Regards Kong

KJ said...

Hi Joanne,

I just started to read your blog and I enjoyed it every much! Thanks to all the useful information being shared.

I was also started teaching phonics to my son last year and I bought some CDs and DVDs to help.

1. Ants on the Apple (comes with Book & Audio CD), it is good where the phonics are taught in songs, you can get it from MPH (http://www.mph.com.my/search/nsearch.cfm?do=detail&pcode=9839808338).

2. LeapFrog - Talking Words Factory DVD (I bought the Learning DVDs 5-Pack) from Amazon. It's cartoon and the DVDs pack include learning Letter (phonics), Words, Storybook, Math. My son love it so much and has been watching it for almost a year now.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
KJ

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe