Followers


Monday, April 6, 2009

Is Singulair safe?

Remember … in my earlier post about Cough and Cold, I mentioned that I stumbled upon reviews on Singulair’s possible side effects? And in case you don’t know what it is, Singulair is a medication commonly prescribed by pediatricians and doctors to reduce asthma in children (actually, adults as well) AND it costs a bomb as it has to be taken over a long period of time! My younger son has to take it for 2-3 months!

Well, as I was saying, while google-ing, I found that some reports saying that this medication can cause mood and behavior related changes - aggressive behavior, tantrums, nightmares, depression, anxiousness, hallucination, even suicidal, and the list goes on. Sounds ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING! I began to think that perhaps my younger sons’ hyperactivity, tantrums, naughtiness and sometimes nightmares could be due to this drug? Or is it just pure Terrible Two ‘syndrome’ – he is 2 years old, going on 3. How can really I tell?

I went to ask my pediatrician recently. Like some doctors, he mentioned that manufacturers of drugs tend to list down ALL possible effects and if doctors were to follow, then ‘there will be no drugs to prescribe’. And, by the way, he thinks that Singulair is safe. Hmmm.. means what? Should I continue? If there is really nothing to worry about, what then is the hoo-haa all about????

If you are interested to read more, here are some links:
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/medwatch-online.htm

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?sid=189360fe398ade586da36b6cf98a9054&gid=40378158644&ref=search

http://www.drugs.com/singulair.html

http://www.parentsforsafety.org/

3 comments:

Rafaela said...

Hi:
i know you posted this some 4 years ago and your kids are not so little anymore... but I'm curious if you've come to any conclusion bcs I feel exactly the same way - not sure if my daughter's starting her terrible-twos or if these are side effects of singulair... would love to hear from you.
thank you.

Elea said...

Hi Rafaela, My son is 8. I just gave him singulair and I this evening he throw tantrums and was in a bad mood which i just brush off as school homework and exam stress.. Now I am wondering is it the singulair??

Joanne said...

When I posted this site, I was 'researching' in my miniscule way about Singulair. I found a Facebook page on it and on the medical slip of the medicine, it was also stated on extreme reactions, it may affect children behaviour. I still believe in it. However, when my kids have bad cough and the paed do prescribe it, I didn't object. In fact, I didnt observe any unusual behavior.. or it could be that my kids have all along been active.

I feel that if you do see or suspect the effect on your kids, tell the doctor to prescribe something else. I remember my paed asked me to choose between Singulair and Seretide. Seretide is an inhaler, usually prescribed for asthmatic patients. It works on my kids and I sometimes use in combination with Ventolin puff. Ask your doctor.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe