Followers


Saturday, May 30, 2009

Getting My 5-year-old Son to Express Himself More

In my earlier post, I was saying that Ryan was a late bloomer and only started to talk when he was in kindergarten at 3-4 years old. As such, he was very much behind in class in terms of speech and thus affected other learnings. 

See post 'My Son Was Slow in Speech Development' tagged under 'Speech Therapist'

I have seen marked improvement since as I have been collaborating efforts with his kindergarten teacher to bring his learning up to speed. It requires lots of patience, time and efforts. 

Of late, he has been picking up new vocabularies - I suspect from TV - and I thought that it's about time to do more, like getting him to 'express' himself, building on his creativity and coaching his thinking process. Nothing drastics. Only simple logics and reasonings. After all, he is only 5 years old.

These are what I have been practising with him:
  1. Whenever he tells me something, I'll ask lots of WHYs and HOW COMEs and see what he comes up with. Sometimes, it is actually quite entertaining. In the process, I'd correct his pronunciations,  sentence structure and introduce new concepts and vocabularies. 
  2. I'd encourage him to tell me stories spontaneously. Stories that he would make up with some of his favourite characters in them. I would help him with prompters and suggestions. This is very fun and entertaining.
  3. I have also been discussing simple concepts or morals with him. The latest is about 'Strangers', 'What you must never do in a restaurant' and 'What's inside our body'.
I'm still cracking my head, trying to come up with what else to do with him. How to keep his learning interest high. Thinking, thinking...





No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe