Followers


Saturday, May 9, 2009

Snow Jelly or 'Suet kap' in cantonese




My kids are so very prone to cough and flu that I'm so very desperately looking for just anything to help boost their immunity. Someone recommended me to try out Snow Jelly or 'suet kap' (in cantonese). If you really want to know what is Snow Jelly, it is actually quite yucky! Snow Jelly also known as Hashima is the dried fallopian tube (oviduct) .. urrgggghhh! ...of a female frog species found in forest of Jiang Baishan mountainous region in Northern China. Exotic .. but still it is hard to stomach that you are eating the fallopian tube of something. But once you get over it, it is actually ok and really quite delicious. Heh, heh!





I bought this promotion pack from a Chinese Medicine Shop for RM199. It that came with 9 squares of Snow Jelly and Korean Ginseng. No idea if it was a good deal or not coz it was my first time buying it. Then I got some sugacane rock sugar as well - and that's cheap - only RM4.


I have already cooked it twice for my family. My sons love it and they call it 'Jelly Soup'. Hopefully, this would help them boost their immunity.






Here's how to prepare Snow Jelly Korean Ginseng Soup (4 pax):


Ingredient:
  • 3 squares of Snow Jelly or 'suet kap'
  • 10-15 slices of Korean Ginseng or 'ko lai sum'
  • 10 red dates or 'hung jo'
  • 2 pieces of sugarcane rock sugar (average size)
  • 3-4 bowls of water



Use a slow cooker. Chinese medicine is best cooked with earthern pots and slow cooker is best because of its make as well as the heat is controlled to allow simmering. Metal pots may react with some chinese medicine.
  1. Put the Snow Jelly in a bowl and soak it overnight. The Snow Jelly will expand and expand.
  2. The next day, clean the Snow Jelly by taking out all black particles and 'hair' from the fluffs. It actually smells a bit like dead fish but don't worry, once cooked with the rest of the items, you wouldn't even notice it.
  3. Boil the water in the slow cooker and when it is hot, put in the Snow Jelly, Korean Ginseng, red dates and sugarcane rock sugar in the pot. The red dates and Korean Ginseng will key the fishy smell.
  4. Cook on high for about 2 hours, then go on either Low or Auto depending on when you want to serve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was reading your post mother. It is said that children should not eat Hashma due to high content of hormones. Your little girl and boy will have early puberty. Maybe you may take note of this.

Cheers - passerby lady - SG.

Val Ng said...

For cough u should try cordyceps. My sons r prone to cough. Since I started cordyceps I hv not been to the dr for more than a yr-toch wood touch wood!! Also I make some herbal soup for them. Not cooling but 'yun' soup- in Cantonese. Hope tat helps. Try nu skin cordyceps the quality is there. Good luck

Joanne said...

Thanks Val.
I did the best nest thingy. My mum bought my son to try the Lo Hong Ka bird nest - one spoon a day. Noticed that he doesnt cough as much. Works too!

I know abt cordyceps. Tried but he didn't like the taste. What 'yun' soup did you boil? Like to know :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe