Followers


Sunday, May 24, 2009

Teaching my Son Kindergarten Chinese


I'm trying to teach my 5 year old son Chinese but I'm almost Chinese illiterate (and so is my hubby). What I could remember was my kindergarten Chinese which at my time was not exactly difficult, and what I picked from my TVB series! I'm horrified at the depth of the Chinese language that they are supposed to know even at kindergarten stage. What then would be the level if he goes to a Chinese Primary School. While I'm still thinking hard whether to put him through a Chinese Primary School, I still have to find a way to teach him.

This is what I had to do. Every now and then, I would go through his Eduland Kindergarten work and try to do revision with him. His kindergarten also provides Chinese flashcards for him to revise at home. Problem is I don't have a clue what half the characters are. So I brought his Chinese flashcards to work and asked my colleagues to teach me so that I can teach him!! Haha! Now I have to go back to learning Kindergarten stuff - earlier I was also learning phonics!!!

Then, one of my colleagues gave me a wonderful website. It allows you to sketch the character (using the mouse) on the website and it will supply a list of characters closest to it. Once done, it will tell you the meaning ...AND THE BEST PART is... it has an audio section that teaches you how to READ it!! Coupled with another 2 websites that I have found, I'm able to come up with my own Chinese flashcards for Ryan :):)

If you have the same problem, check out these websites. They helped me a lot.

http://www.nciku.com/
- this is the one that I was talking about earlier :)

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/ime.html
- an online tool that converts pin yin to chinese characters for you

http://usa.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php
- a Chinese English dictionary




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joanne, I just found your blog and I must say it's rather interesting as I'm also in the same boat as you...Chinese illiterate mum sending daughter to Chinese school. My daughter will be in Standard 1 next year and am trying to find out how best I can help her with her Chinese.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to add...thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

which kindergarten is your child in? they should teach basic mandarin right? i think children should be taught the basics in kindy then when they go to standard one they will pick up mandarin fast..

JamieArisa said...

oh wow I have been looking for this! thanks for sharing.. great tips!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe