Followers


Thursday, May 28, 2009

Some 'Pantang Larang'-s for Pregnant Ladies



My couzy asked me to tell her about some of the pantang larangs for pregnant ladies. Actually, I'm just bout the wrong person to blog this - ha,ha! I'm such a non believer to pantangs and some would say I'm a 'banana'. No! No! I don't look like a banana! It is just a term that Malaysians (not sure about other countries) use to describe a Chinese with Western mentality. 

A banana has:
Yellow skin =  outwardly Chinese
White flesh = inwardly western

I'm not exactly banana. But I believe in things which can be substantiated (ie science) or logical. I think my parent-in-laws have a bit of problem about this with me :) wink! wink!!
But then again, for the sake of my babies, I followed some :)

Here's a list of what I know even though more than half of them, I don't know why they are 'pantang'. Haha!
  1. In the 1st 3 months of pregnancy, do not tell anyone that you are pregnant. Else may not make it through. 
  2. Do not drill or hammer nails during pregnancy. If you need to, just get out of the house and say 'Baby, we are going out now'. My feng shui master advised me on this when we had to install air conds in the house.
  3. Do not go to a place where construction is in progress. 
  4. Do not shift house
  5. Do not cut - especially on the bed - else baby will have hair-lipped
  6. Do not sew else some parts of baby will be 'sewn' together 
  7. Do not paste things in the bedroom. My Ryan has a birthmark on his chect. Someone asks me once if I pasted anything while I was pregnant. I pasted/stuck baby posters on the walls in the bedroom. Hmmm
  8. Cannot go to any full moon celebrations when you are pregnant. 'Chung'/against the celebration!
  9. Cannot move furnitures in your room - especially marriage bed/the bed that you are sleeping in
  10. Cannot attend funerals
  11. Cannot do gardening. Once when I was pregnant (about 1 month), I was planting grass and walk ways in my new house. I had a miscarriage after that. My hubby thought it could be because of that. But then again, the pregnancy was not strong to start off with. So...
  12. Cannot eat seafood like crab because 'tok'/has toxin. This one I believe because seafood can cause sensitive skins and I had a lot. Ended my kids have bad eczema. My daughter is ok so far as I controlled my intake.
  13. Do not eat lamb ('yeung' in cantonese) - else baby gets 'fat yeung tiu'/epilepsy. I was laughing about this. Just because the animal is called 'yeung' doesn't mean you'll get 'fat yeung tiu'. Other when you eat chicken/'kai', you'll get 'fat kai won' la!! Some got irritated with me about this!! Hehe!
  14. Do not watch animals like monkey else the baby will look like monkey (eg). now this one has some science behind this and it was proven. So better believe it. Some saids it was due to constant exposure or when you had a shock when you see the animal. Not sure. Better avoid. But easier said than done coz TV and Astro love to show animals!
  15. Do not watch horror shows
  16. Do not eat cool things like watermelon, herbal drink etc. Avoid fruits in the 1st 4 months. May cause miscarriage. I definitely followed this as my Chinese medical practitioner advised this
That's all I can remember. You can read to entertain yourself or you can follow them. Some would say that it is better safe than sorry. And there is another set of pantangs for post natal. That's another story altogether.


glitter-graphics.com

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe