Followers


Monday, May 18, 2009

I Cut My Children's Hair


I wonder if all moms have the same problem. My sons just refuse to step into a hair saloon to have their hair cut.
When Ryan was much younger, he was ok with the hair dresser but somehow much later, the idea simply terrified him. I really mean 'terrified'. He would start crying when he realized that we were on the way to the hair saloon. And once in the saloon, he would practically bring the whole place down with crying, screaming and struggling. End result, a more horrific hair style and an embarassing moment for us. He was then about 2 years old. Even now, he still refuses to go to a hair stylist to cut his hair. So, along the way, this mommy here became the family hair stylist. It took lots of creativity and patience to coax him to have his hair cut. And I guess kids have more faith in their mommies :)

Later I discovered why! My sons are terrified of the electric shaver - the one that saloons use to crew cut boy's hair. Its the humming sound that they don't like. I suppose they are afraid that it would hurt them. Also they cannot stand the hair that falls on their body and neck - too itchy.

So what I did initially was...
  • I took them to the bathroom, switch on the showers (warm water please) and wash the hair away as I cut.

  • Distract them by letting them play with water - something that they don't get to play with everyday

  • Praise them saying that they look so good after the hair cut and that they have been good clever boys

Actually what works is DISTRACTION!

Ryan is good now but still refuses to go to the hair saloon. Raymund is the more difficult one - he just can't sit still. As for me, I enjoy it :). I love to cut my kids hair.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son was also afraid to have his hair cut by a professional when he was younger. When he was a baby, we brought him to a barber. No problem then. As he grew up, around 2yrs onwards, he refused to go to the barber any more. So, we have to cut his hair at home. Btw, it was my darling hubby who cut his hair every time. I just couldn't bring myself to take the scissors and cut the hair!? (Bravo, you) Anyway, when he turned 3 yrs ++, we managed to coax him to cut his hair at a hair salon. The hair stylist was good at interacting with kids and I guess the two kind of "click" at first sight. So, now he is not afraid to cut his hair at the hair salon anymore. And you're rite, Joanne, most kids are afraid of the hair shaver. If you manage to get your sons to visit the hair salon, just ask the hair stylist not to use the shaver or at least minimise the use of it.

Cheers,
justmommy

Joanne said...

Thanks for your advice, justmommy. My hubby and I tried to talk my son to the hair saloon recently. Tak jadi. He's ok for me to cut his hair. But must be with scissors only. Actually I quite enjoy it too - bonding with my kids and I get to do creative things too :)
It takes practice. Most importantly is not to use sharp ended scissors. I heard one of my friends niece got injured accidentally while her mom cut her hair. So be careful.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe