Followers


Saturday, May 9, 2009

Safe Plastic Scissors for Toddlers & Young Children



One of the best ways to train toddlers on fine motor skills, and as a prelude to writing is to teach them how to cut with scissors. The idea seems frightening. Two kids ago, I would have freaked when anybody even suggested that! Too dangerous! What if my baby cut himself?! Blah, blah. But since Ryan has gone to school, I realized that it is good to teach them how to cut using scissors. A lot of toddlers and young children have problem with finger strength when it comes to learning how to write. Cutting with scissors is good to help them strenghten their finger muscles and exercise finger control. At the same time, my kids are also excited over being able to do something that they are normally 'not allowed'.


Having said this, we have to provide a safe environment for them to do so.


Look for plastic scissors with plastic blades that specially caters for toddlers and young children. I found mine in Isetan KLCC for under RM4.


I have already got Raymund, my 2-and-a-half year old, on it. Both my sons are enjoying their 'cutting' activities. However, we have to make sure that they are seated and constantly supervised by an adult when they are do some cutting. Plastic scissors or not, accidents do happen.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe ss_blog_claim=688caa9e4ba46a9ff6aa8fb4f3f96dbe